Monday 22 August 2011

Slaine-A World With No Skies 2.0 Review

I must say that before this album I had never heard Slaine before. Which I suppose is a good thing, as therefore I had no biases against or for him while writing this review. Anyway, let’s get down to the actual album. After the controversy of A World With No Skies, the first version. Slaine decided to release a new album with the same name, and many of the same songs. So if you’ve heard A World With No Skies then there’s no point in getting 2.0. But if not, read on….
Black Horses: The beat is simple, yet it suits the atmosphere of the song. Lyrically it was very good. Overall it was a good start to the album. 8.5/10
Voices of Apocalypse: I really liked this beat. In fact I really liked this whole song. I think it was the hook the got me stuck to it. Anyway it may not have been the most lyrical song on the album, but there was something about it that attracted me to it. 9.5/10
99 Bottles: This beat made me of something that Grieves would rap over. The hook was a good play on the “99 bottles of beer on the wall” tune, but it was a bit corny. Yet the rest of song was lyrically good. 7.5/10
When I Shoot You: Another good beat. Yet again it had some good lyrics, but what was most notable about this track was that it was a very good story telling song. 8.5/10
Zombie (ft Son of Skam):  This was probably one of worst songs on the album. Son of Skam is probably the least lyrical person to feature on this album. Slaine doesn’t do badly but Son of Skam ruined it completely. He also tried to put in some rock and that didn’t work out at all. 6/10
Can’t Go Home: A huge improvement from the previous song. The beat is pretty simple but is really good. Slaine is once more lyrical and he does a good job on the hook. 8.5/10
You: The beat was ok, and the hook wasn’t great. In the end it was okay. Definitely not one of his best songs, even though he stays up at his usual standard lyrically. 7.5/10
Jumpin’ Out The Window (ft Cyrus Deshield & Edo G): This song was a top 4 of the album. The beat was simple but still good, I loved the hook, Slaine does what he does and Cyrus is good as well, as I thought he would be, being the most featured person on the album.9/10
Crazy (ft B Real & Jaysaun): An Immortal Technique sounding beat, with some good lyrics. This song actually sorta reminded me of Cyprus Hill (makes sense since B Real was on it). Although the chorus was corny. Jaysaun’s  verse wasn’t too bad, although I didn’t really like B Real’s. 7.5/10
I Ain’t Done: This beat had that “horror” sound to it, without overdoing it. This was another song that some people might look over, but I really liked it. And the hook,  was also enjoyable for me. And lyrics are also good. The effects that were put on the vocals I thought suited the song. And the outro of the song was good as well. 9/10
The Boulevard (ft Blacastan, Sean P. & Ill Bill): A pretty good beat, lyrics weren’t bad. The features all do well too. The song was good but nothing brilliant, it didn’t have anything standing out.  8/10
Broken (ft V Knuckles & Cyrus Deshield): A good beat. The hook was good to.  quite well but not nearly as well as Slaine, who is very good on this track, lyrically and flow-wise. 8.5/10
Ghosts: Another very good song, very good beat. Not much I can say about this track besides the fact that I liked it a lot. The hook was good, so were the lyrics, flow and concept. 9/10
Where My Heart Is (ft Cyrus Deshield):  I liked the hook. And Slaine didn’t disappoint once again. The singing was good too. 8.5/10
Borrowed Time (ft Checkmark & Lu Balz): So far this and 99 Bottles are the only 2 songs on the albums with music videos, so they will probably be the only singles for the album. Although I really liked the hook and lyrics on this song, I thought the beat wasn’t great. With the name Lu Balz, I expected him to suck, but he proved me wrong and did very well. With a different beat, this could have been a top 2 song of the album. 8.5/10
The Last Song (ft Everlast): The beat wasn’t  bad. And as almost every other song  on this album, it was good lyrically. Although I didn’t really like Everlast on the hook, and I would have much prefer him rapping on one of the verses than “singing” the hook. 8/10
Overall: 8.5/10
Certainly worth checking out (unless you’ve heard the first version of course). A very solid performance from Slaine, and if I was just rating him and not the beats or features, he would probably get 9.5/10. Go check it out and who knows, it might even make your top 10 albums of the year.
Music videos can be found here 99 bottles and Borrowed Time
By *Aboveground*

No comments:

Post a Comment